Home Terrorism & Threats Suspect Arrested In London Subway Attack Is Revealed By British Media
Suspect Arrested In London Subway Attack Is Revealed By British Media

Suspect Arrested In London Subway Attack Is Revealed By British Media

0
Get started on your Homeland Security Degree at American Military University.

LONDON — British media have reported the first details of two men arrested in connection with a crude — but potentially deadly — bomb that detonated in the London subway last week, injuring 30 people and reigniting fears of more terrorist attacks in Britain.

The Metropolitan Police have not yet released the names of the suspects, and no charges have been filed.

But British media reported that one of the men is Yahyah Farroukh, 21, whose social media pages suggest he is from Damascus, Syria. Farroukh was studying at a regional college in Britain and had traveled recently to the Middle East, the reports said.

Photographs in the Sun newspaper show a man reported to be Farroukh being detained by police outside a fried-chicken shop in west London on Saturday night. Officers are shown placing the man’s arms and legs in plastic sleeves to protect possible evidence.

On his social media sites, Farroukh appears in ordinary selfies, showing him visiting London landmarks, including Big Ben.

On Sunday night, ITV News acquired closed-circuit images that purport to show a person walking with a shopping bag similar to one used in Friday’s attack at the Parsons Green station. In the short video clip, the person’s face cannot be seen as he strides, head down, clutching the bag.

The location of the surveillance video was close to one of two properties searched by British counterterrorism officers and forensic teams on Saturday.

One of the homes is in Sunbury, less than an hour west of central London, where a couple served as foster parents for many children, including refugees, over several decades. The now-elderly pair, Ronald and Penelope Jones, were honored in 2010 by Queen Elizabeth II for their care of children in need.

Neither the police nor British media have revealed the name of the other suspect arrested by police, an 18-year-old who was detained Saturday in the ferry port of Dover in southeastern England, where authorities suspect that he was seeking to board a boat out of the country.

Both men are being held for questioning under the Terrorism Act.

“For strong investigative reasons, we will not give any more details on the man we arrested at this stage,” Deputy Assistant Police Commissioner Neil Basu said earlier.

The Islamic State terrorist group asserted responsibility for the explosion. Experts cautioned that the group often claims attacks it may have only inspired, as well as ones in which it had no involvement.

Get started on your Homeland Security Degree at American Military University.

The explosion rekindled debate about whether countries such as Britain have been tough enough in fighting terrorism. Just hours after the blast, President Trump suggested that Britain needed to be “more proactive.” Prime Minister Theresa May retorted that such comments were not helpful.

william.booth@washpost.com

 

This article was written by William Booth from The Washington Post and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.

Comments

comments